Week 3--Little Miracles
Bună Ziua!
Other
titles I could have used this week were "Bunged for the first time" or
"From the coolest people to the worst teeth". It has been quite the
week, but I have so little time to write. We had to wait a whole hour to
get computers here at the library today, and it already takes so long
to get around with the buses here. So I am a little late.
About
food: We haven't had much more authentic Romanian stuff, but I am in
love with "Covrig"s. They are kind of like big soft pretzels, but just
round and can be stuffed with chocolate or other yummy things.
Our kitchen has a small gas stove and oven, which work
just fine once you figure it out. We mostly eat pasta or rice dishes
still, though I also made French toast this week and will be making
more. We also eat a lot of cereal, bread, and bananas. The kitchen is a
little small, but not too bad. We also made cake for English classes on
Saturday. The first one burnt a bit (Romanian ovens don't have a
temperature setting, you just have to estimate and watch carefully), and
the second one was a little too oiled, but tasted good enough for me.
Next time, we will have it down.
We have our own little washing machine in our kitchen for
laundry, which is handy. We don't have a dryer, so we hang everything
in our spare room. Other than that room, we just have our bedroom, the
bathroom, and larger front room. And a bomb shelter below the storage
closet. I haven't dared to go down yet. Our bathroom is a typical
European bathroom, with a normal shower, European toilet (so you can
actually control the water you flush), and the lightswitch on the
outside. I'm used to that now, but it got me a lot when I first arrived
here.
ll try to start from the beginning of the week now, since every day was interesting in its own way.
I
neglected to mention last week that the bus drivers were on strike on
Monday and Tuesday, and that made for a lot of walking. Especially
coming home with groceries, which was a good 20 minute walk, at least. I
don't know why we chose that day to make our biggest purchase so far.
My shoulders have recovered now.
Because we walked so much, however, we met lots of interesting
people on Mamaia Blvd. those next few days. Lots of people chatted with
us, some of them nice, some with stories of UFO's, some with the most
disgusting teeth I have ever seen. We attract a lot of people as
missionaries.
There were also lots of little miracles. For example, on
Tuesday we met a Nigerian woman who is a student here, and since we were
offering it to everyone, we gave her an Engleza pe gratis card, and of
course found she spoke perfect English. However, she was interested in
who we were and what we were doing, and invited her to come to church or
even come help us with English. We were feeling great, until we
realized that we had left her with the impression that our church
service...
Sorry, have to go. I have my first lesson happening unexpectedly right now. Bye
No comments:
Post a Comment