Bună Ziua!!
One
more week in Romania. I have settled in a little more to the lifestyle
now, but there is still a lot of mental adjustment going on. To be
honest, it is really different from my expectations from the MTC.
Investigators are hard to get, unless you happen to be the sisters, who
now have 4 investigators with baptismal dates. I have high hopes for
English classes though.
I
will be buying my winter clothes soon. I hope to find a sweater today,
but I don't plan on buying anything else yet. You can get anything at
the malls here, so I'm not worried about finding anything. There are 4
malls just here in Constanta, which are pretty much like the ones in
Canada, just with European stores.
Elder
B and I have our own apartment, for just the two of us. The other
elders are just a few minutes north of us, on the 5th floor, looking
over the sea. I hear the sisters have a similar view. This is a great
place to start my mission. Even for learning the language, this is
probably the best. The accent is purer here than compared to western
Romania or near Moldova, but people don't speak quite as fast as in
Bucharest. It still seems incredibly fast to me though. 3 hours of
church is quite the mental workout, as understanding anything more than
the topic takes all my brain power and I usually still don't get it. One
day, it will be easier, but it will take a lot of patience on my part.
Learning the language is tough, but I am getting pretty good at
understanding the way people either refuse us or accept a "Cursuri de
Limba Engleza" card. I have that vocabulary down.
We
do walk quite a bit, and we also use the buses. But mostly, proselyting
means walking for us. On Thursday, we walked to the opposite side of
town by foot, contacting on the way, and kept going for three hours
until our lesson with a member. It was way down in the industrial side
of town, in probably the sketchiest hood in town. We met with the Branch President and taught a fantastic lesson to one of the members. It
didn't count for any of our key indicator goals, but the spirit was
strong, I talked as much as anyone else, and the point got across. It
was great, and the member said he would prepare to go to the temple. I felt
like I had accomplished my missionary dream. I fell asleep in my
clothes at 9:30 that night, and didn't wake up to change until 2:20 in
the morning. Missionary work takes a lot of energy.
We do have exercise time each morning. We usually just work out in the apartment, but we will go on a run sometimes.
You asked about Constanta last week and I didn't answer all your questions, so I will try to explain a little more.
I
haven't seen any ruins or anything like that, but there is a pretty
cool mosque in the old area of town. Most of the city seems very
influenced by the communist era, but not quite as much as Bucharest.
There are lots of apartment blocks here, but also a fair amount of
really fancy neighbourhoods, in a European sort of way. There is also a
very large casino down by the sea in the older area. I have heard
Constanta described as the Las Vegas of Romania. It is the most touristy
place, and we are already starting to see the city die a little as
summer closes. It is a lot different in the winter, and since no one is
on the streets, the only thing to do is bloc-knock. (The trick is to
start from the top floor, and go down. It's easier to keep going that
way.)
We
also made a little trip about 15 minutes outside the city on Sunday to
Valul lui Traian, to find information about a less active member who
once lived there. The trip by foot, bus, and Maxi-Taxi took all
afternoon, but we were successful in obtaining a phone number. A
maxi-taxi is like a big 24-seat van, and they are very common around
here. That is the way to get to the towns where the buses won't go.
If
you want to send me a Christmas package, it should be here before Nov
28, since the Christmas zone conference will be a little early this
year. Thanks.
Love you so much! Vă iubesc!
Elder Lybbert
No comments:
Post a Comment